Happy New Year! I hope you all had an amazing New Year’s weekend. I am currently mourning the fact that holiday time is over and it’s back to reality. But, I will admit that I am excited for the year to come.
If you know me personally, you’ve probably heard me say these two things: 1) I don’t do New Year’s resolutions and 2) I like greens but I am not a fan of kale.
Why is this relevant? Well, 1) I like goals, because goals can be made at anytime, not just at the beginning of a new year. So one of my goals this year is to post more frequently on this little site! I fell off a bit during yoga teacher training, but now I am back and ready to go.
2) The recipe I am sharing with you today stars the ever famous kale. While I much prefer other greens such as spinach or collards, I like kale when it is flavored correctly, and this version of it actually worked for my tastebuds! I hope this works for you, too. It will be perfect for your healthy eating resolutions!
Makes approximately 4 servings
- 1 bunch of kale
- 1/2 bag of mini carrots
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida (hing)
- 2 tablespoons clarified butter (ghee) or coconut oil if vegan
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons cumin-corriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- optional: 7-10 curry leaves
- optional: chili powder
- optional: grated coconut
Wash and chop the kale as desired. I cut it finely to avoid large leaves in the dish. Chop the carrots into small slices.
In a large pan or cast iron skillet, melt the clarified butter. Add the mustard seeds, asafoetida, and curry leaves. When the mustard seeds begin to pop, add the kale and carrots. When the kale begins to wilt slightly, add the remaining ingredients (turmeric, cumin-corriander power, salt, pepper, and if adding, coconut and chili powder). Stir to combine everything and allow it to cook until the kale has completely wilted.
Serve with brown rice or quinoa and a side of yogurt. Or, enjoy on its own.